Cursus | Summer Programme
Advanced Summer Programme: Preventing, Detecting and Responding to the Violent Extremist Threat
- 19 augustus 2019 - 23 augustus 2019
- Price: starting at €1695,-
- The Hague
This advanced summer programme focuses on the field of preventing, detecting and responding to violent extremism and gives you insights in the opportunities and challenges of a networked approach.
The latest dilemmas and trends in the field of preventing violent extremism, various views on radicalisation, de-radicalisation and re-socialisation, geopolitical developments and how they influence public debate, the opportunities and challenges of a networked approach, the various roles and, perspectives of stakeholders active in the field, are all covered in this programme through lectures, workshops, serious games, panel discussions and much more.
Confirmed speakers last year included:
- Edwin Bakker, Professor of Terrorism and Contra terrorism, Leiden University
- Isabelle Duijvesteijn, Professor of International Studies and Global History, Leiden University
- Paul Gill, Senior Lecturer at University College London's Department of Security and Crime Science
- Liesbeth van der Heide, Senior Research Fellow, International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT)
- Donald Holbrook, Lecturer, Lancaster University
- Simon Minks, Senior Public Prosecutor n the region covered by the Hague Court of Appeal. Minks is specialised in the prosecution of terrorism cases and high profile international (war) crimes
- Annemieke Brons
- Bart Schuurman, Research Coordinator, International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT)
- Tahir Abbas, Visiting Senior Fellow, The London School of Economics and Political Science
- Shiraz Maher, Director of the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation (ICSR) and a member of the War Studies Department at King’s College London
For any other questions or more information on the programme please also e-mail email@example.com.
The summer programme will be held in The Hague. The programme combines its unique location in The Hague, the International City of Peace and Justice, with the academic expertise of the Institute for Security and Global Affairs and the ICCT.
Preventing, detecting and responding to violent extremism are ‘wicked problems’ – a dynamic tangle of complex issues, a wide range of stakeholders and no clean-cut, obvious solutions. Tackling this problem requires a networked approach where all actors work together in a joint and coordinated effort. From security services, policy makers, lawyers and academics to youth workers, teachers, parents and other actors, all stakeholders have their own role to play. Each stakeholder, in turn, works from the premise of their own specific perspectives, authorities, interests and limitations. In order to ensure effective prevention measures, strengthen public resilience and increase on-time signaling and addressing of radicalisation, it is vital to understand the position and role of network partners.
This advanced summer programme, organised by the Centre for Professional Learning of Leiden University and the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism – The Hague (ICCT), provides insights into the opportunities and challenges of a networked approach to prevention. In an intensive five-day course, participants will meet academics, experts and practitioners and discuss the latest dilemmas and trends in the field of preventing violent extremism and how these dilemmas influence the public debate. Furthermore, participants will work on cases to distinguish the various roles and limitations of different stakeholders and how these relate to each other in their joint efforts to prevent violent extremism.
This year we offer a special PhD Fee, an Early Bird Fee and a Standard Fee.
- PhD students are eligible for a special discount possibility. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in the summer programme 2019.
- The Early Bird Fee is €1395 and applies to the first 10 participants until 30 March, so sign up now!
- The standard registration fee is €1.695
Participants have the opportunity to enroll in a complementary summer programme that focuses on the legal aspects of countering terrorism. This programme is organised by the T.M.C. Asser Instituut and ICCT. Participants can register for one or both of the programmes. The Early Bird fee for the first 5 participants of both summer programmes is €2595,-. The Standard fee for entering both programmes is €2790,-
Participants who wish to register for the combined summer programme discount package, can indicate this in the application form.
This advanced summer programme on Preventing, Detecting and Responding to the Violent Extremist Threat is meant for international as well as Dutch professionals that already work in the field of preventing violent extremism or are just interested in expanding their knowledge about the subject. For example:
- Practitioners in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism;
- Policy maker (international, national and regional);
- Members of Parliament;
- (Academic) researchers;
- Professionals aiming to expand their understanding of the challenges of preventing violent extremism.
Selection will be based on curriculum vitea and motivation (in the registration form).
After completion of the summer programme, participants will have:
- Insights in the latest dilemmas and trends in the field of preventing violent extremism;
- Insights in the opportunities and challenges of a networked approach and the (im)possibilities of multidisciplinary cooperation and information sharing;
- Proper understanding of the various organisations and stakeholders active in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism and their various roles, perspectives, authorities, interests and limitations;
- Reflected on one’s own role and position in the field of preventing radicalisation and violent extremism;
- Expanded one’s network of international experts in the field of preventing violent extremism.